Nigeria Closes Schools in Kwara After Deadly Church Attack

Nigerian authorities have closed several schools in five districts of Kwara State following a deadly attack on a church earlier this week. Officials say the move is meant to prevent further attacks, especially on schoolchildren who may be targeted by armed gangs.

The decision comes at a time when insecurity is rising across Nigeria, and President Bola Tinubu is under pressure to respond to cases of kidnapping and violence.

On Tuesday evening, gunmen stormed a church in Kwara State, which borders Benin in western Nigeria. At least two people were killed, while the pastor and several worshippers were kidnapped.

Security agencies fear that the attackers or other armed groups could strike again.

Schools Closed to Protect Children

Kwara State Education Commissioner Lawal Olohungbebe said the schools would remain closed until security agencies confirm it is safe for children to return.

“The government is determined to stop kidnappers who may want to use schoolchildren as human shields,” Olohungbebe said in a statement.

Kidnapping Crisis Deepens

The school closures follow another major incident earlier this week. On Monday, 25 schoolgirls were kidnapped from a boarding school in Kebbi State in northwestern Nigeria.

The rising attacks have forced President Tinubu to postpone planned foreign trips so he can focus on the worsening security situation.

International Pressure Mounts

Nigeria is also facing scrutiny from abroad. Earlier in November, former U.S. President Donald Trump threatened military action over what he called the persecution of Christians in Nigeria.

The Nigerian government has dismissed those claims, saying the security crisis is complex and affects people of all religions. Officials insist the country is committed to protecting religious freedom.

To ease tensions, President Tinubu has sent a delegation led by Nigeria’s National Security Advisor to meet U.S. lawmakers and government officials for discussions.

What Happens Next?

Schools in the affected districts will stay closed until the military and police give clearance. Search operations continue for the kidnapped pastor, worshippers, and the schoolgirls taken in Kebbi State.

The Nigerian government says it is working to strengthen security, but families across the country remain fearful as armed attacks continue to spread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *