Hong Kong is mourning after a massive fire ripped through seven high-rise apartment buildings in the Tai Po district, killing at least 128 people and injuring 79 others. Dozens remain missing, making this the city’s deadliest fire in several decades.
The blaze began on Wednesday afternoon at Wang Fuk Court, a large housing complex home to about 4,600 residents. Firefighters battled the flames for days, finally extinguishing the last hotspots early on Friday.
Fire alarms failed across all eight buildings
At a press conference, officials revealed that fire alarms in all eight blocks were not working properly. Many residents had earlier complained that no alarms sounded when the fire started, leaving families trapped and confused.
Authorities also said more than 1,018 flats had to be forcibly opened during rescue operations as they searched for survivors.
Styrofoam and construction materials fueled the fire
Investigators say the fire spread unusually fast. Early findings show that Styrofoam boards placed outside windows—used during ongoing building renovations—acted like fuel. Police also found plastic sheets, mesh nets and canvas materials that may have helped the flames jump from one floor to another.
Experts told the BBC that bamboo scaffolding, a common construction material in Hong Kong, may have also contributed to the rapid spread, though residents online defended its use and pointed instead to the flammable mesh nets.
Renovation crew arrested for suspected manslaughter
Three people overseeing the renovation project have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, and a separate corruption investigation is now underway. Officials said they believe there was “gross negligence” in the handling of construction materials and safety measures.
Families grieving, many still searching for loved ones
At the Kwong Fuk Community Hall, families queued from early morning to identify victims using photo albums provided by authorities. At least 16 bodies remain inside the burned buildings, with temperatures in some parts still over 200°C.
Domestic worker groups say 19 Filipino and 11 Indonesian workers are among the missing. Two Indonesian workers have been confirmed dead.
Volunteers across Tai Po are distributing clothes, blankets and hygiene items to displaced families. Many residents are traumatised. Some, like Mrs Cheung, watched from afar as the fire spread, not realising it would reach their homes.
“We stood there and watched our homes burn,” said one resident, Mr Chan, fighting back tears.
Government promises financial support
Officials say the government will launch several financial-assistance schemes for families who lost homes and belongings. A second press briefing will outline compensation and housing support.
More than 2,311 firefighters, 391 fire engines and 188 ambulances took part in the emergency response. Police investigators in protective suits have now entered the buildings to collect evidence.
Next steps
Authorities say the full investigation will take three to four weeks. DNA sampling will be used to help identify victims. Meanwhile, the tragedy has sparked renewed calls to phase out bamboo scaffolding and strengthen safety rules for renovation works in high-rise buildings.
Hong Kong’s Chief Executive John Lee says the government will consider replacing bamboo scaffolding with metal alternatives, though critics argue this may benefit mainland steel producers more than improve safety.