Guinea-Bissau Military Installs Transitional Leader After Sudden Coup

General Horta Nta Na Man has been sworn in as Guinea-Bissau’s transitional president, one day after the military seized control of the country. The takeover on Wednesday marks the ninth successful coup in Guinea-Bissau since it became independent from Portugal in 1974.

The swearing-in ceremony took place on Thursday, November 27, 2025, at military headquarters in Bissau. The military high command announced that General Nta Na Man will lead a one-year transition with the goal of “restoring order” and preparing the country for new elections.

Heavy gunfire broke out Wednesday afternoon around key government buildings, including the presidential palace, the electoral commission, and the interior ministry. Soon after, Brigadier General Denis N’Canha, head of the presidential guard, announced on national radio that the military had taken full control of the state.

The takeover occurred just hours before authorities were expected to release provisional results from the November 23 presidential election—an election already surrounded by tension and suspicion.

Outgoing President Umaro Sissoco Embalo was safely flown to Senegal on Thursday evening after intervention by regional authorities. Senegal confirmed his arrival and pledged to work with ECOWAS and the African Union to help restore constitutional rule.

Before being evacuated, Embalo told French media that he had been detained without violence. Several senior officials—including the army chief of staff General Biague Na Ntam, his deputy General Mamadou Toure, and Interior Minister Botche Cande—were also arrested.

Opposition presidential candidate Fernando Dias, speaking from hiding, rejected the military’s justification for the coup. He claimed he won the election with about 52% of the votes and accused Embalo of manipulating the crisis to block the release of official results.

Civil society groups also raised concerns that the coup may have been staged to prevent the electoral commission from declaring Dias the winner. Researchers told international media that early vote tallies circulating before the coup showed Dias leading.

Former Prime Minister Domingos Simões Pereira—barred from running and later supporting Dias—was arrested on Wednesday. Protesters gathered outside the building where he was held, and witnesses reported that security forces used tear gas and fired live ammunition in nearby streets. No casualties were confirmed.

Tensions in Guinea-Bissau had been rising even before the coup. The country’s main opposition party, PAIGC, was blocked from presenting a presidential candidate, drawing criticism from observers who warned that the election lacked credibility.

Both Embalo and Dias had claimed victory before official counting was completed, increasing confusion in a country known for frequent political crises. A similar dispute in 2019 led to a four-month standoff between rival presidents.

The African Union condemned the coup and demanded the immediate release of all detainees. ECOWAS suspended Guinea-Bissau from participating in its decision-making processes after an emergency meeting held on Thursday.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres urged all parties to exercise restraint and allow a lawful political process to continue. Portugal also appealed for calm and called for the vote count to be completed.

The whereabouts of former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, who was in the country observing the election, remained unknown as of Thursday. ECOWAS confirmed it had lost contact with several international observers.

Following the coup, businesses, banks, and markets stayed closed. Soldiers patrolled major streets, and many residents remained indoors despite the lifting of an overnight curfew.

Guinea-Bissau, home to 2.2 million people, has long suffered from poverty, corruption, weak institutions, and widespread narcotics trafficking. Analysts say these structural problems continue to fuel instability and make the country vulnerable to political turmoil.

General Nta Na Man now faces the challenge of guiding a deeply divided nation toward credible elections within a year. However, many citizens and international observers remain skeptical about whether yet another military-led transition will bring lasting stability.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *