Eight Killed in Fireworks Store Explosion in Eastern China

Eight people have died and two others were injured after an explosion at a fireworks store in eastern China.

The incident happened on Sunday afternoon in Donghai County, Jiangsu Province, as the country prepared to celebrate the Lunar New Year on Tuesday.

What Happened

According to local authorities, the explosion occurred at around 2:30 pm (0630 GMT). Officials said the blast was caused by the “improper discharge” of fireworks by one or more villagers near the store.

The fireworks are commonly used in rural parts of China to celebrate holidays and important events, especially during the Lunar New Year. Many people light sparklers and loud “missile” fireworks as part of the celebrations.

However, in this case, the fireworks reportedly triggered a powerful explosion inside the nearby shop.

Rescue Efforts

Emergency teams quickly rushed to the scene. Firefighters, police officers, health workers, and disaster response officials worked together to control the situation.

The fire caused by the explosion was put out by around 4:00 pm. Authorities later confirmed that eight people had died. Two others suffered minor burns and were treated.

Officials also said that investigations are ongoing. People believed to be responsible for the incident have been taken into custody.

Government Warning

China’s Ministry of Emergency Management warned that the country is entering the peak season for fireworks use because of the Lunar New Year.

The ministry urged citizens to avoid unsafe practices such as:

Test-firing fireworks near shops

Smoking around fireworks stores

Storing fireworks improperly

It also ordered fireworks companies across the country to carry out full safety inspections.

Recent Industrial Accidents

Industrial accidents are still a serious problem in China, often linked to weak enforcement of safety rules.

Earlier this month, an explosion at a biotech factory in Shanxi Province killed eight people. In late January, another explosion at a steel factory in Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.

Authorities say they will continue investigations into the Donghai explosion and take further steps to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *