Congo and Rwanda Leaders Set to Sign U.S.-Brokered Peace Deal in Washington

The presidents of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Rwanda are expected to travel to Washington, D.C., next week to sign a major peace agreement aimed at ending the ongoing conflict in eastern Congo. They are also scheduled to meet U.S. President Donald Trump, according to diplomatic sources.

The meeting is planned for December 4, three informed sources — including Tina Salama, spokesperson for DRC President Felix Tshisekedi — told Reuters.

U.S. officials have been pushing for a settlement as part of wider efforts to stabilize the conflict-hit region and attract more Western mining investments. Eastern Congo is rich in minerals such as cobalt, copper, gold, lithium, and tantalum, all vital for global technology industries.

Background to the Conflict

The latest fighting in eastern Congo intensified this year when the M23 rebel group, which Congo says is backed by Rwanda, captured the region’s two largest cities. The clashes have killed thousands of people and forced hundreds of thousands from their homes.

Rwanda has repeatedly denied supporting M23. However, a United Nations expert report released in July stated that Rwanda exercises command and control over the rebels.

A Peace Deal Already in Motion

The Washington meeting is expected to build on:

A U.S.-brokered peace agreement signed by the countries’ foreign ministers in June, and

A Regional Economic Integration Framework adopted earlier this month.

President Tshisekedi and President Paul Kagame are now expected to ratify both documents during their Washington visit.

According to Salama, the DRC president supports regional integration but insists that respect for sovereignty must come first.

Security Measures Still Lagging Behind

As part of the June peace deal, both countries agreed to implement several security steps before the end of the year, including:

Joint operations to eliminate the FDLR, a Congo-based armed group hostile to Rwanda

The withdrawal of Rwandan troops from eastern Congo

However, little progress has been made on the ground.

Qatar has also hosted separate peace talks between Congo and M23. Earlier this month, both sides signed a framework agreement, but many key details still need to be settled before a final peace deal can be reached.

What the U.S. Wants

The Trump administration says it supports peace efforts and hopes to encourage billions of dollars in new Western investment in the region’s mineral-rich economy. A White House official said the U.S. “continues to work with both parties” and looks forward to welcoming the presidents “at the appropriate time.”

Tshisekedi’s Position

Speaking to Congolese communities in Serbia, President Tshisekedi confirmed he would attend the meeting in Washington. However, he stressed that true regional economic cooperation cannot happen unless all Rwandan troops leave eastern Congo.

The Washington talks are seen as a crucial opportunity to push the peace efforts forward and reduce tensions that have long destabilized the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *