21 Dead as Heavy Rains Trigger Landslides and Floods Across Kenya

At least 21 people have been confirmed dead following a massive landslide in Machember Sub-location, Mukurtwo area of Elgeyo Marakwet County, after a night of heavy rains on Friday, October 31, 2025.

According to a statement from the Ministry of Interior, the tragedy struck after continuous rainfall caused part of the hillside to collapse, burying homes and farmlands under mud and debris.

Search and rescue operations are still underway, although rescue teams are facing challenges due to blocked access roads and unstable terrain.

So far, 19 survivors have been rescued, while several injured victims are receiving treatment at Chesongoch Mission Hospital.

Speaking to Citizen Digital, Kenya Red Cross officials said the number of casualties could rise as emergency teams continue combing through the rubble. “The situation remains critical, and we are working with local volunteers and county officials to reach more trapped residents,” said one official on the ground.

The Kapsowar–Chesoi Road has been completely cut off, hampering ground rescue operations. The government has since deployed aerial support, including helicopters to help with evacuation and deliver emergency supplies to isolated areas.

In a separate tragedy, a 15-year-old boy drowned after being swept away by raging floodwaters along River Obonyo in Kapounja, Kisumu West Sub-county.

The ongoing heavy rains have also caused widespread flooding across several counties, displacing hundreds of families and killing livestock.

In Tana River County, 67 households were submerged in Dhuhush, Lebille, Bultobanta, and Bangale areas, with at least 170 sheep and goats and one camel reported dead. In Garissa County, more than 300 goats were swept away in Gutho village, Shimbirey Location.

In Kisumu County, at least 340 households in Kaputhe, Nanga, Dunga, and other nearby villages have been displaced. Meanwhile, in Laikipia County, 89 families living near Lobere Dam were forced to evacuate after several dams overflowed overnight.

Along the coast, Mombasa County experienced flash floods in informal settlements such as Mburukenge and Kaa Chonjo, where poor drainage and stalled construction projects worsened the situation.

The Ministry of Interior has warned that the heavy rains will continue in the coming days, especially in hilly and low-lying areas, increasing the risk of flash floods and landslides.

A multi-agency response team—including the National Government Administration Officers (NGAOs), the National Police Service, and the Kenya Red Cross—has been deployed to coordinate evacuation, medical care, and humanitarian aid in affected areas.

Authorities have urged Kenyans to exercise extreme caution, avoid flooded roads and rivers, and relocate from landslide-prone slopes.

“We appeal to members of the public to remain alert and follow official updates from the Kenya Meteorological Department and County Disaster Units to ensure their safety,” read part of the Ministry’s statement.

The Kenya Meteorological Department has forecast that the rains will persist in most parts of the country, including the Rift Valley, Western, Central, and Coastal regions, warning that the situation could worsen if drainage and emergency measures are not reinforced.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *